Thursday, December 30, 2010

Liar












I am forever behind my invincible shield
-behind hardened steel and twisted metal-
fabricated to hide the portrait of a little girl.
Medal designed to protect the child from the harmful
effects of the great ball of fire we all call the sun.
The once tender expression on the child’s face
crafted into a horrifying battle mask of cooled fire.

Under this mask, I found refuge before,
now I’m trapped in a room without a door –
a cave without a light –
a forest without a fire.
A prisoner of my future self.

I have abandoned who I was before,
when I promised that I would not hide any more
but days passed, the sun rose and fell
and the steel began to enclose my soft inner shell.

One day I will break free from this metal tree,
I will tear through the bark of razors,
I will rip the branches of knives,
and I will pull the mask from my skin.
I am free, I will shout.
I will throw this ugly mask out.
The warmth of the air will shock me and I will yearn to replace
the cool comfort of the steel back to my face.
But before I do,
as I raise the mask, I will not prevent myself from seeing
the reflection of the immobile little girl in the battle mask of cooled fire
as she mocks me softly, whispering to my painted lips: liar, liar, liar.

No comments: