Thursday, December 30, 2010

Never have I ever

encountered a television show that has so entirely changed my perspective on the world as much as Six Feet Under has. I just finished watching the series finale and I am actually shaking. The show is scary and beautiful; how could it not be? The main themes are death and the beauty found in embracing mortality. I especially love the finale episode because it answers all possible questions about the fate of the characters, but you still feel like there's so much more that you could see if you desired. And I think that's the greatest part of the show, the characters feel so real because their lives are both seconds and lifetimes all at once. During the whole five seasons, the characters only age five years, and yet I'm left feeling like I knew them from life until death. The show takes the cliche saying of "live everyday as if it is your last" and makes you see beyond the desire to live as hard as possible in as short as possible. It makes you embrace the moments you have, the opportunities you have, and tells you that "yes, time does somewhat make you feel better." The central thing that I took out of it was that as time passes, you realize that all the horrible things that happen in a person's lifetime only hold as much weight as you allow them to. Truly the best and most engaging television show. The creator and director is the same guy who made True Blood into an HBO series, Alan Ball.

No comments: